[vdr] Re: OT: 149 GB Maxtor disks.

Guido Fiala wrote:

> > > 1) As this disk exceeds the 128 GB protocol limit, it will not
> > >    be plug-and-play with existing controllers/BIOSes.
> > >    Fortunately, this problem is addressed by the fact that Maxtor
> > >    bundles a controller card with it.
> > >    Will Linux 2.4.10 drivers work flawlessly with it?
> >
> > I'm using 2.4.16 with the XFS file system now.
>
> Does that mean one has to give away one of those valuable PCI-slots just for
> an extra controller?

Not necessarily.
According to
   http://www.heise.de/newsticker/data/bo-28.06.01-000
the 48-bit sector addressing does not require new hardware,
but new drivers and a new BIOS.
So hopefully most main board manufacturers will come up
with BIOS upgrades soon.
Until then, the bundled controller card may help.
But what about linux drivers?
Does the current kernel support 48-bit IDE sector addressing already?

Carsten.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index