[vdr] AW: Re: problem with samba share.cannot see the *.vdr files

I hate 2 things:

1. Rassismus
2. Windows in meiner Stammkneipe

I think until there is nothing comparable with PVAstrumento and TMPGenc it
is really necessary to be at least compatible with international
charactersets and filesystems in this area of programing. I always try to
use the right tool for the right job. For recording and playing of Digital
TV there is nothing better than the VDR (Thanx Klaus), but for encoding
there is nothing better in the freeware area than TMPGenc. I tried several
tools ( e.g. the whole script and all the tools explained by
http://www.pxh.de/fs/svcd/index.html ) but the quality of TMPGenc is realy
outstanding (especially if you compare sharp vertical lines). But the MPEG
streams from VDR are most of the time not usable if you translate the VDR
file by the driver mpegtools (Async sound). Some days ago there was the
dicussion about broken streams. I allways get this with PVAstrumento fixed,
of course in Windows. Also TMPGenc is only running in windows, so why not
keeping the compatibility.

But I have also developed a lot of software (in HP-UX?, no(!)it was in
Fortran, Algol, Cobol, Assembler on microprocessors, HP1000 Process systems,
HP-UX, Linux and some also in Windows - Borland C++ Builder) and I know how
easy it is to include this "Balkon" and that "patch" to overcome very early
design decissions. So sometimes its good to keep the next big release a
little bit longer under development and do some redesign. But as Klaus
already wrote, he likes to do some restructuring in his software for the 1.x
release "und das ist auch gut so!"

Kind regards and a happy new year
and good luck to all the developers in this area of digital TV

Manfred

--
-------                   Manfred Schmidt-Voigt                  -------
-----                  Gunzweg 10, 22393 Hamburg                   -----