[vdr] Re: More about free space on hd

Guido Fiala wrote:

> On Sunday, 30. December 2001 01:54, you wrote:
> > high!
> >
> > Once I noticed that there is some constant in VDR sources which determines
> > the amount of free space to be left on the hard disk if it wents full.
> > (something about 1.8 MB by default, IIRC)
> >
> > I think, it is limited too strictly. I think, it might be done
> > selectively, e.g. if a recording is in progress, this amount of free space
> > should be left on the hard disk. But if just the current replay position
> > or the positioned cutting marks (which is a time consuming work) should be
> > stored, they should be stored anyway.
>
> To state it clearly: My disk had many many Gigabytes free for the resulting
> files - think it's a problem in the frame-parser which accidently makes the
> cutting thread believe EOF is reached...

During the cutting process VDR doesn't parse any frames (this is done only
during recording, when the index.vdr file is generated). The cutting process
just uses the information from index.vdr to locate the positions stored in
the editing marks and "shovels" the necessary frames from the original recording
into the new recording (and creates the new index.vdr file on the fly).

> @Klaus: if it would help i can try to cut out the section (e.g. using split)
> and send only a small file to you - how large would it have to be?

I don't believe this would help. You'd probably have to send the entire file,
and that's way too much data.

If the problem is actually reproducable, you could add several debug outputs
to cCuttingBuffer::Action() to see what exactly goes wrong. Maybe there _is_
a problem somewhere in there that only comes up in specific cases...

Klaus