[vdr] Re: OT: 149 GB Maxtor disks.

Carsten Koch wrote:

> > > I'm using 2.4.16 with the XFS file system now.
> >
> > Does that mean one has to give away one of those valuable PCI-slots just for
> > an extra controller?
>
> Not necessarily.
> According to
>    http://www.heise.de/newsticker/data/bo-28.06.01-000
> the 48-bit sector addressing does not require new hardware,
> but new drivers and a new BIOS.
> So hopefully most main board manufacturers will come up
> with BIOS upgrades soon.
> Until then, the bundled controller card may help.
> But what about linux drivers?
> Does the current kernel support 48-bit IDE sector addressing already?

To answer my own question: There is an article in the current
c't (1/2002, page 151) which says that Kernel 2.4.16 does not
support 48-bit addressing, but in the -ac kernels this has been
implemented in 2.4.13-ac6. They also say they have successfully
and completely accessed a 160 GB disk under 2.4.13-ac8 WITHOUT a
48-bit-capable BIOS.

Carsten.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index