[vdr] Re: VDR Feature ideas

Thomas Mohr wrote:

> Hello,
>
> first, I'd like to say "Thanks" @Klaus and all VDR contributors. My
> Christmas VDR started working at the Dec 23rd. After some configuration
> adjustments, i am happy and even my wife is using it!
>
> Things working: LIRC, reiserfs, shutdown by Remote control, DVD, morning
> wakeup (by BIOS).
>
> Things not yet working:
>
>   o Suspend mode (APM1.2 is not enough supported by 2.4.10)
>     I had to set MinUserInactivity to 0. Any pointers to
>     new apm versions appreciated (2.4.16?)
>   o DVD navig patch (I tried once with "Sixth Sense" but
>     caused crashes). I have hope here :-)
>   o /usr/local/bin/cpuinfo from the FORMATS file (where
>     to get this ?)

I assume you are referring to the line

 2 CPU status        : /usr/local/bin/cpustatus 2>&1

in VDR/FORMATS. Well, this is just an *example*, assuming you have a file named
'/usr/local/bin/cpustatus' that outputs some useful CPU status information.

> Ideas for new features (for discussion)
>
> 1) Rotating Recordings
> ======================
>
> Reserve a limited set of recordings for repeating timers (e.g.
> "Tagesthemen" or "Sandmännchen"). For example, i want to have the 3
> latest transmissions of Sandmännchen (for rainy days) and the last two
> Tagesthemen. The Rotating Recording feature would throw away (in FIFO
> manner) old recordings and keep only the specified number and the latest
> recordings.

You can have that already by setting Priority=0 and Lifetime=2, for instance.
Ok, this will not automatically delete recordings that are older than 2 days,
but it will do so when a new recording needs the disk space, so basicly you
should get what you want.

Klaus