[vdr] Re: CPU for watching divx

On Tue, 11 Jun 2002 13:50:45 +0200 (CEST)
"Gernot A. Weber" <gernot@tux-web.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> at the moment my DVB computer runs with a PII-300. I want to buy a
> new one in order to watch DIVX. Will a Duron 1200 MHz be fast enough

i asked much the same question some days ago and here is a  summarize
of the answers i got.

You should be able to play divx with a 800MHz CPU (Type not specified
in the answers so i asumed a duron would do). But you would be on the
limit with that. So a 1GH or 1GZ cpu should give you a little
breathing room.

> or should I go for an Athlon or a faster Duron? Which CPU should I
> buy, if I want to live-encode MPEG2 to DIVX? Any recommendations?

good question, never thought about asking that one. but i asume when
you need 800MHz-1GHz for replay you would need more to record in a
decend quality. On the other hand there are some tools to convert
after recording is finished and that would not have to be done in
realtime and so you would not need a faster cpu than as for replaying
and the conversion would be done with a good nice level in the "idle"
time. At least that's the option i plan to upgrade my 300MHz system to
not only it will save money in hardware buying but also the power
consumtion should be a lot less and that is realy a point in my
calculs for a "ever" running router/vdr system ;)

ciao markus

--
Markus.Kalb@gmx.de
GnuPG Key ID B93BDF1E