[vdr] Re: Re : VDR files to vob

Hi all,
On Sunday 14 July 2002 17:10, Rene Bartsch wrote:

[...]

> A/V-PES is a proprietary format of the DVB-cards. So they can easily
> replay ... Other players simply don't understand that proprietary
> PES-format, as it usually isn't used in any applications.

I'm getting trhe feelig that none of us really know's what he is talking
about. Me too ...
Anyway, from ISO/IEC 13818-1: Section 0.4:

"Transport Streams and Program Streams are each logically constructed from PES
packets, ....
PES streams do not contain some necessary system information which is
contained in Program Streams and Transport Streams. Examples include the
information in the Pack Header, System Header, Program Stream Map, Program
Stream Directory, Program Map Table, and elements of the Transport Stream
packet syntax."

Now, all the missing elements have nothing todo with A/V sync. They contain
only information relevant for DVB reception. Therefor PS is the format that
no one except the card would understand. PES on the other hand, should be the
right format for us. It appears as if a lot of MPEG player apps confuse PS
and PES streams. My guess is, that they mean pure MPEG stream when speacking
about PS....

> As far as I know, DVD-VOBs are PS, working with VDR and genindex. So it

they are PES !

> shouldn't be a problem to replay it. I don't know much about
> PS/PES-format, but if I remind well you're right with the additional
> packets.

The additional packets shouldn't be a problem

> What I can remind, PS has additional information for syncing A/V, so
> it's easier for the player to keep in sync.

no it doesn't contain those information, PES on the other hand does.

> It would also be a step to DVD-recording.

I wrote a longish mail about that a while back, but nobody answered

> Does VDR use a own TS2PES-remuxer or do you use the one in the
> DVB-driver? Then you could switch to the PS-remuxer in the driver.

i think it does

> Maybe someone with better knowledge of TS/PS/PES could give a comment or
> create a patch?

maybe someone with more spare time, should do it ....

Andreas

--
Andreas Schultz <aschultz@cs.uni-magdeburg.de>
Student of computer science

"In accordance with plans for Linux OS world domination
      infiltration of governments is vital (:-))."

Home | Main Index | Thread Index