[vdr] Re: VDR files to vob

Am Mit, 2002-07-17 um 10.58 schrieb Hans-Peter Raschke:
> Andreas Schultz wrote:

> >>What's wrong with it? I thought it would just take an extra data
> >>record to satisfy dumb players?
> >

> > The players YES, but not the VOB format. I think the ultimate goal should be
> > to be able to record the resulting file without further processing to a DVD
> > (at least that would be my goal). For that the PS packets have to be 2048
> > bytes, which in turn means that the contained PES packets can be max. 2034
> > bytes long (including the PES header).
>
> You are right, the ultimate goal should be compliance to the VOB format.
> But I think a short term goal could be to gain compatibility with dumb
> players. The reason for this is that this would make further processing
> much more easy.
>
> There isn't many Software, which could deal with the current vdr format
> (currently I know pvastrumento under win32 and mplayer/mencoder under
> linux). So  therefore you have an additional step: demux. This step
> involves in most cases a/v-sync problems. Player software is designed to
> avoid this problem. My short tests with your quick hack didn't show this
> problems too. Besides this the additional step is time consuming and
> needs a lot of hd space.

I asked some questions on the transcode-ML. Transcode is capable to
generate DVD-compliant MPEG-PS/VOBs. Only thingies like NAV-packets are
missing, but our first step should be to get it playing. We simply could
adapt the code from transcode to remuxer.c!

I also had contact with a member of the transcode-ML who is working on
DVD-authoring for linux. He told me he has sent first authoring-patches
for mkisofs to it's author which will be included in the next
alpha/beta-releases. He's also working on IFO/BUPs, which could replace
index.vdr-files.

I've invited him to join the VDR-ML.

Rene

Home | Main Index | Thread Index