[vdr] Re: Disk suggestions?

Am Son, 2002-07-21 um 22.42 schrieb Christian Vogt:

> From: "Rene Bartsch" <rene@bartschnet.de>
> > I'm running one 160 GB Maxtor in my Server with RedHat7.3. My BIOS
> > doesn't support drives larger 128 GB, but who cares? (except
> > Windoze-dummies).  RedHat has patched the kernel coming along with 7.3
> > and kernels up from 2.4.19-pre4 (didn't test earlier ones) support
> > 48-bit adresses.
> >
> > If you have your own little '/boot' partition, it's no problem!
> >
> > Rene
>
> Well, forgive me, but it seems that I am one of those Windoze-dummies :-)

everyone has to carry his burden ... *g* - but don't cry, one and a half
year ago I was one, too.

> Just to be shure: do I need
>
> a.) at least one small DISK to boot from, or
>
> b.) one small PARTITION at the beginning of the one and only large
> non-Bios-supported disk.
>
> Option b.) would be nice, but I don't really believe that this will work. To
> make the system boot from HD, you need to tell the Bios about the disk. The
> only thing I can imagine to get b.) running is to tell the Bios wrong
> parameters in C/H/S-notation and hope that it will be able to find the small
> boot partition at the start of the Disk.  Does anybody tried this
> successfully? (AFAIK modern disk dives can still be accessed via C/H/S
> mehod)

b) works. My BIOS (ASUS CUBX Rev. 1008-004) recognizes the 160 GB Maxtor
as 8 GB HDD. I just have the standard 64 MB '/boot'-partition, a 10 GB
root-partition, a 10 GB '/tftpboot'-partition to get rid of my clients
harddisk and a 129 GB-partition for storage (VDR, ...).

But I didn't test that with Windoze ... :o)

Rene

Home | Main Index | Thread Index