[vdr] Re: external key mapping (was: DXR3 support patch for vdr-1.1.5)

> Well, typically remote controls don't have too mayn keys...

I think we shouldn't do any assumptions how many keys the remotecontrol has or how it
looks like.

> One way to solve this might be to define new, specific key codes like kPlay,
> kPause, kForward, kRewind and kStop and to allow the user to either define or
> skip them when "learning" his remote control codes (that's if he uses the RCU or
> the PC keyboard - with LIRC he would simply define these or not).

Yes, thats maybe what I wanted to say. Maybe it sounds a bit complicated because I
don't know how it is actually implemented.
I'd like to be able to map each key in every menus to my own keys. Of course the
default mapping would be the way it is currently implemented.

> However, the problem that still remains is: what should people do if their
> remote control doesn't have these keys? Mine for one doesn't, and I'm rather

Then you would use the down key for 'menu down' and 'pause'

> happy with it. Using the up/down/left/right keys for navigating through menus
> and also for controlling the player comes natural, since the keys are already
> labelled that way (i.e. for instance the "Up" key has a upward pointing arrow

Yup, but again you are make assumptions about the remotecontrol.

> next to it, as well as the "play" symbol on it). So that's why I strongly suggest
> that programs try to use these keys the same way the core VDR program does.

Yes, thats  the way how it should be in the default config. A function has to be on the
same key everywhere but it should be the users choice which key is used.

> > Though a pointer to the file where I would change the pause key for example would
> > be appreciated.
>
> Are you referring to VDR or the mp3 player?

vdr

Thanks
 Thilo

Home | Main Index | Thread Index