[vdr] Re: Reference RC (was DXR3 support patch for vdr-1.1.5)

> At the time I initially coded this I didn't even have my current RC
> yet. I simply tried to make a menu structure that would work with the
> smallest number of keys and would follow the path that apparently
> seems to be used by many commercial STBs: a cursor cross
> (up/down/left/right) to navigate, Ok/Menu/Back to go through menus and
> four color keys for various functions.
> One of the major ideas of the VDR menu system is based on the presence
> of the four color keys. These are used very flexible for various
> functions, which are dynamically indicated in the bottom line of the
> menu. If you wanted to have specific keys for all these functions (and
> all the possible functions that may yet come) you would need an ever
> increasing number of keys on your RC. With just the four color keys
> doing things is pretty easy and straightforward. Besides, look at any
> of the commercial "Personal Video Recorder" OSDs - they all use color
> keys.

my intention is/was at no time to change the menu structure and the
handling of the osd. the only thing i suggest is an additional
abstraction layer for the key_2_function mapping.

as somebody else said, you have to configure lircd.conf to match vdr,
which is in some situations suboptimal.

alternate scenario:
if someone could configure lircd with real key-descriptions like
"play", "stop" (no problem here) but also "clear", "shift" etc.
(printed on the remote but in the moment with no use for vdr) we
would have a good description for a given remote (which would be
application-independent then).

a function_2_key mapping file could then hold some (and more)
functions of vdr connected to the desired key.

a help screen with "real" key-names would be easy then.

no need to change menus, osd etc. and the 4-function-key row. and for
the no-color-remotes make an alternate style without color but a
prefix char - so everybody is happy.

> I have nothing against criticism. However, there are some areas where
> I just don't see the benefits of changing things. The current menu and
> key handling system is IMHO simple and straightforward, and I'd really
> like to keep it that way. If somebody wants to use VDR with a remote
> control that doesn't have color keys, I'm afraid I can't help him. The
> basic idea behind the VDR menu system relies on color keys, and
> assigning each and every function (that can easily and flexibly be
> handled with color keys) to a specific key would only end up in
> requiring a lot more keys than just the four color keys.

nah. as i said above this is no must. i like the osd as it is, but
maybe its easy to implement a more flexible solution with little
effort. the keys-pc.conf is already there - so why dont do it for
lirc too with additional optional function_2_key mappings ?

> As I stated earlier, I will add several additional keys, like
> Play/Pause/Stop etc., but these will only be "additional", meaning
> that using VDR (or a plugin, for that matter) must still be possible
> if there are only the basic keys available.

yup, im with you on that.

wbr.tja...

--
tjaSoft - thomas jagoditsch
systemAnalyse - softWareTechnik - netzWerkSicherheit

Home | Main Index | Thread Index