[vdr] Re: Performance needs for timeshift with budget card

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 02:25:57PM +0200, Dariush Forouher wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-07-25 at 06:29, Wolfgang Miller-Reichling wrote:
> > On Wed, 24 Jul 2002 at 19:18:20, Dariush Forouher wrote:
> > > I'm using vdr currently on a AMD K5-166, 64MB RAM, 40GB HD and the
> > > mainbard support max. UDMA-2. With this hardware, timeshift is not
> > > possible. If I play or record on both cards at the same time, the
> > > recording get too many errors (unviewable).
> > What cards do you use? I guess you have least one budget card. One
> > shouldn't have problems using two full featured cards, right?
> > Wolfgang
> One Hauppauge nova-s and one siemens dvb-s 1.3.
>
> I don't know if the card type makes any differences in performance. vdr
> needs in idle running about 30-40% cpu usage, I think that old cpu
> together with the small memory causes this problem. This setup works
> fine on a new 2Ghz Aldi PC.

I'm pretty sure someone said there _is_ a difference between a full
featured and a budget card as secondary. Something about the CPU having
to demux the stream instead of letting the card to it? CAn someone
confirm that? I'm going to try it on P200, we'll se if it works (or
not).

Wolfgang

Home | Main Index | Thread Index