[vdr] Re: What about creating a newsgrop or a forum?

On 30 Jul 2002, Dariush Forouher wrote:

> On Tue, 2002-07-30 at 15:08, Thomas Keil wrote:
> > And yes, sometimes I REALLY wish we had a nice forum,
> I don't think that a web forum would be a good idea. A forum would have
> much more postings per day, because more people have the knowledge to
> use it and because it's easier to post. Forums are generally anonymous
> and if I look at other ones like 'heise online' sometimes the language
> seems to be not very different to a chat. Maillings are more serious.

I agree this.

And my 2 cents for other postings:
I prefer maillist. I can be sure that I have all mails saved and I can
search them easily. Try grepmail. It searches mails like grep, but it
return the whole mail, not just one line.
Newsgroup loses postings sometime, that depends on the servers settings.
And I don't like the idea that I have to save postings manually.
Yes, I know there are news clients that save the posts automatically. I'm
just stuck with my current news client, nn.

Web forums are worse. Then you really need to save those posts manually.
And as somebody said, the posts will be anonymous. And we all know what
that means eventually.. Bad language and spam.. And I don't want that.

So, my opinion is that we should stick with emails.

  Marko Myllymaa

Home | Main Index | Thread Index