[vdr] Re: A PAL Broadcast TV Hard Drive Recorder

Harald Milz wrote:

> Ulrich Petri <ulope@gmx.de> wrote:
> > Steven Armstrong wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >> I am interested in building a  PAL Broadcast TV Hard Drive Recorder. I
> >> understand that this project together with a hardware MPEG2
> >> encoder card
> >> will do what I want.  As MPEG2 encoder cards aren't cheap my
> >> question is
> >> what speed of CPU could handle software encoding and still
> >> carry out the
> >> functions of the VDR? I would prefer not to go to a multi CPU
> >> motherboard.
> >>

> > Hi you don't need an encoder but a decoder card.
> > You will at least have to use a budget DVB card (e.g. WinTV-Nova) and a
> > "Realmagic Holywood plus" aka. "Creative DXR3" MPEG2 decoder crad. Both
> > you can get for about 40 Euro at ebay.
>
> He was asking about a PAL broadcast recorder, and he actually needs a MPEG2
> _en_coder card. This, however, is out of the scope of VDR AFAIR.

I'm using VDR 1.1.20 together with the Kfir MPEG2 encoder card.
Works great - apart from two bugs in the Kfir driver, one causing a
one line disturbance in the picture, and the other requiring to
reload the Kfir driver after every recording, otherwise it will
cause artefacts...

Klaus