[vdr] Re: Read/Write Simulatneously

> Alexis Guerin wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm interested in using your vdr software but i have a question about it:
> > Is it possible with vdr to record and play at the same time (e.g : a
>
> yes (developer version)
>
> this is called time shifting
>
> > Basically : can it read and write simultaneously on the hard drive?
> > Are commons pc harddrives fast enough to do that?
>
> the problem WAS the dvb board was not fast enough. But the new cool
> driver/firmware for LINUX can do this.

What do you mean? I've read that the firmware was designed to handle up to
45Mbps. Is thta the new one?
what was not fat enough in the dvb board?
Is the borard still used to read the already recorded part of the stream?
Or did you mean to record a different channel that the one you are watching.

> > Or is it possible to configure vdr to use 2 harddrives (1 read , one
> > write) ?
>
> VDR can use multiple hard disks.
>
> However, what do you want to READ if you WRITE on another hard disk!?

Yes indeed ...

> Keep in mind however that the disk performances aren't usually a
> problem; an MPEG2 data stream is barely more than few MB/s.
>
> bye
> as

Thanks
alexis