[vdr] Re: AW: Re: nvram-wakeup: service start up hangs

> On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, Ralph Lautenschlaeger (RL) wrote:
>
> RL> Hi,
> RL>
> RL> the hwclock hangs on bootup, because its waits for clock-tick.
> RL> hwclock can't realy read the time from cmos.
>
> it can, using --directisa. It doesn't by default, though.

yes, its true, but not the normal way.

> RL> call hwclock -r --debug on bash, you can see, the debug-messages.
>
> could you send me the output of it (via private mail), I don't have a
> board with this phenomenon.

on the way

> RL> i use an asus tuv4x-board.
>
> could you tell me the configuration of nvram-wakeup you are using, so I
> could add it to the cvs version.

#define ASUS_TUV4X  18 /* Asus TUV4X Award Bios   Pentium Board     */
.
.
#elif MB==ASUS_TUV4X

     #define ADDR_STAT   0x56
     #define SHIFT_STAT  4

     #define ADDR_CHK_H  0x6C
     #define ADDR_CHK_L  0x6D
     #define RTC_DATE    0x6F

     #define RESET_DATE  ON

     #define RTC_TIME    ON

ML use this configuration on your own risk!!

> RL> the poweroff and automatic restart works fine.
> RL> but hwclocks works only with option --directisa. i think, the
nvram-wakeup
> RL> or the /dev/nvram writes to bad adresses
>
> hmm, nvram-wakeup writes via /dev/nvram into adresses from the
> configuration in nvram-wakeup-mb.h
>
> if RTC_TIME=ON, then the rtc time is set via ioctls on /dev/rtc (provided
> by the rtc kerel driver)
>
> BTW.: which version of nvram-wakeup are you using? After CVS from
> 22.02.2002 /dev/rtc and /dev/nvram are never opened at the same time as
> this prevented some boards to poweroff on 'halt -p'

htpc:~ # /home/video/nvram-wakeup-0.04b/nvram-wakeup -v
NVRAM WakeUp - Copyright (C) 2001-2002, Sergei Haller.
nvram-wakeup-0.04b

> RL> before  i  used the program nvram-weakeup, i could read from and write
> RL> to  HWCLOCK without problems. on manual-pages of hwclock you can read,
> RL> the  --directisa  works  only  on boards with isa-bus. but this option
> RL> seems work correct on only pci-boards like tuv4x.
>
> every intel based board has an isa bus (although in modern boards you
> won't find any isa slots for isa cards)
>
> RL> what make nvram-wakup wrong or wich bit in cmos block the clock-tick
output
> RL> to /dev/nvram?
>
> please try the following:
>
>   1. boot linux
>   2. reboot (without using nvram-wakeup)
>   3. boot linux.
>
> are you still not able to read from /dev/rtc ?

This seems to work, if the PC are longer time off.