[vdr] Re: about the vdr streaming plugin

Thanks a lot,
It is clearer indeed now.
I just have one more question...(the last one )

On Wednesday 26 February 2003 16:21, you wrote:
> On Mittwoch, 26. Februar 2003 12:29 Alexis Guerin wrote:
> > > Because I wanted something like that, too, I have started creating a
> > > whole new streaming-plugin which uses a Client/Server Protocol similar
> > > to the SVDRP and FTP protocols.
> > >
> > > The client part of the plugin serves as a fully implemented
> > > Input-Device serving a TS stream to VDR, and the server part works with
> > > receivers.
> >
> > - Do you mean that the client is a machine running VDR and receiving (via
> > the LAN) a TS stream provided by the server machine (with DVB cards and
> > eventually DVD drive) which is also running VDR.
>
> Exactly. The only thing you got wrong is that actually a PES-stream is
> streamed (because only a few players can handle TS, and I want additional
> clients besides the VDR-Client later on), and then remuxed to TS so VDR can
> handle it as a device.
>
> > - You are talking about TS stream, but can that be mpeg4 encoded data
> > (Divx), like in the first ffmpeg/ffserver plugin.
>
> not sure what you mean.

What I want to do is to stream mpeg4 coded stream instead of mpeg2 to be able
to handle that on a 802.11b network. I don't want to send a mpeg2 stream on
the network.

> If you mean the possibility of outputting the
> stream to ffserver which then recodes it into mpeg4, then sorry, this is
> not planned yet. But you could write a small client running on the local
> machine that pipes the data from the network into ffserver

Is that what your first streaming plugin do?
Am i right if i understand "local machine" as the server machine?
How could I write a "client" that pipes the data from the network on the
"server" machine? what am i missing there...

> > > You could easily implement other clients that are controlled by a
> > > simple script and output via mplayer.
> > >
> > > The plugin is mainly ready and works here, but since I only have one
> > > full-featured card for the server and one DXR3-Client, my testing
> > > possibilities are limited.
> >
> > What do you need DXR3 decoder for? Is it because you are running VDR on
> > the client side? Would it not be possible to use any kind of computer as
> > a client (even without hardware decoder)? Is that what you mean by
> > "simple script and output to mplayer)?
>
> The Server part is listening to a simple text-based protocol (like SVDRP)
> and can be controlled like that. You could for example ask if a given
> channel is available using a command like PRVC ProSieben. You could tell
> the server to actually switch and stream that channel using CHAN ProSieben,
> after telling the server where to stream it (with a command like PORT from
> the
> FTP-Protocol).
>
> Any client capable of viewing a stream that can be controlled by another
> script or program should be capable of receiving this.
>
> > Sorry if I am missing everything about the structure of your plugin...
>
> I hope it's a little clearer now.
>
> > Do you hav any plans to release it soon??
>
> I am planning to test it with some ppl having more than one client or more
> than one card in the server first, as I don't want this to be as buggy as
> the first streaming-plugin, which works nice with SOME configurations, and
> doesn't on some OTHERS ;)).

Thanks for your help

Alexis