[vdr] Re: 160GB disks - ATA/133

Juri Haberland wrote:

Matt Tovey wrote:

I guess that other people out there must also have 160GB IDE disks
installed? Having just bought one, I've just become aware of the 128GB
limit for ATA disks. ;)
As far as I can see, the only fix is to buy an ATA/133 controller. This
is a proprietary fix (Maxtor), and not part of the ATA standard, right?
I guess Serial-ATA is going to be the long-term fix...

No, I think you need a new kernel with 48bit IDE support.

That's the best news I've had all day. Thanks!

I bought a Promise ATA/100 TX2, figuring that I don't need performance, so why sell out the extra bucks for 133... then after googling for answers, I thought I'd have to send it back and get a 133 card... :(

Just to be sure I'm understanding correctly, with an ATA/100 card and a kernel with 48 bit support, you see all 160GB of the disk? To save bandwidth on the mailing list, perhaps just let me know if you don't...

Off to download a new kernel...

Matt