[vdr] Re: .vdr maximum file size

Juri Haberland wrote:

> Stephan Bieker wrote:
>
> > Beside all that technical stuff, i would love to get one file per
> > recording. No one really will use vdr, which is a linux based application,
> > on a fat16 file system or similar which doesn't support files greater than
> > 2 GB. I asked myself many times why vdr splits files, even when saving
> > recordings to filesystems without those limits.
>
> Sorry, but I do not agree.
> I think a couple of days ago there was a posting of someone who said he
> had a SuSE 7.3 system and cannot create files larger than 2G. I don't
> know if this is true for all SuSE 7.3 systems, but I have my doubts also
> about Debian with a 2.2ish kernel (or do they include the LFS patches in
> the default kernel?).
> So please, keep the default at 2G and maybe make it configurable, to set
> an max. value of 2T (or maybe even more with 2.6er kernels?).

Actually it _is_ configurable, however the absolute maximum is 2GB (signed
32 bit integer). Making it so that it uses 64 bit file offsets would require
some changes to VDR that I don't want to make. And I don't mean that I just
don't want to invest the work - I don't _want_ them.

Of course, anybody who wants to have this is free to patch VDR in that way.
Just don't bother sending me such patches - they're not going into the official
VDR source.

Klaus