[vdr] Re: with 1.25 more crashes then with 1.23 ???

Oliver Endriss wrote:
Klaus Schmidinger wrote:

I guess I can now safely remove the DO_REC_AND_PLAY_ON_PRIMARY_DEVICE
macro from dvbdevice.c. In one test I even did three simultaneous
recordings plus one replay on my primary device without the slightest
problem. The OSD, however, does get rather sluggish in such a
scenario, but with the typical case one recording plus replay (which
also covers time shift) everything works just fine now.

I suggest not to remove the DO_REC_AND_PLAY_ON_PRIMARY_DEVICE option because the firmware problem which caused the RTL recording bug has never been fixed. If they decide to change their transmissions again we should be able to use an old 0.9.4 firmware as a workaround. This is impossible without this option...

BTW, vdr 1.1.25 runs very stable here. I've been using both the vanilla 1.0.0pre2 driver and the development driver (dvb-kernel). During the last weeks I turned OSD on while cutting, fast forward, rewind. I was not able to produce a single ARM crash this way. Very good.

I noticed the following (very rare) problems:
(1) ARM crash when starting a recording
Did this by chance happen while replaying (recording started by timer)?
I had some crashes in this situation, but that seemed to crash the whole system. I could only recover by hard reset because the RC did not work any more and I have no keyboard attached to the VDR. There were no entries in the syslog. I'll try to reproduce that if I can.

Otherwise 1.1.25 with 1.0.0pre2 driver works very stable here, and the annoying OSD problems seem to be history. I could run 2 parallel recordings and on replay with OSD on my EPIA M6000 without problems.

(2) A/V out of sync
I had that with the 1.0.0pre2 driver. I downgraded to a snapshot from 29. Jan 03 (trying to do the binary driver checks you suggested on the DVB ML) and have not observed it after that, but I will wait for the 3sat Tagesschau today which often had a/v sync problems (parallel transmission on ARD is OK). The driver snapshot works with the new firmware.

(3) video ok, audio missing on ARD
Each of these problems occurred once or twice in the last weeks,
so it is nearly impossible to debug them.

Oliver