[vdr] Re: 16:9 tv

On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 08:34:31AM +0100, Martin Altemark wrote:
> Hello, this might be just a stupid question, but if so, then so be it.
>

> I am borrowing a 16:9 tv set, I thought this might be a good idea since
> alot of stuff that's on the digital channels here in sweden are in 16:9
> format. But it seems that it is transmitted as 4:3 letterbox (I am not
> good at these broadcast/video stanrd things...). That results in the
> picture beeing shown (when using the 4:3 mode on the tv) correct
> proportion wise, but very, very small. I have black borders on all
> sides. Shouldn't there be some way for VDR to "rescale" to fit the full
> 16:9 tv screen instead of showing a small part of the tv only? I have
> tried to set 16:9 in the DVB setup menu, but this seemed to have no
> effect.

This is not VDR's responsibility. There's no way VDR can know whether the
image should be cropped or not. Also it would require frame manipulation
which would require a lot od CPU cycles.

Your tv-set should have a setting which crops out the top and bottom parts
of the picture. Try cycling through the various modes on your TV to see
which one produces the best picture.

--
  Lauri