[vdr] Re: 16:9 tv

--On den 18 mars 2003 08:34 +0100 Martin Altemark <martin.altemark@linewise.se> wrote:

Hello, this might be just a stupid question, but if so, then so be it.

I am borrowing a 16:9 tv set, I thought this might be a good idea since
alot of stuff that's on the digital channels here in sweden are in 16:9
format. But it seems that it is transmitted as 4:3 letterbox (I am not
good at these broadcast/video stanrd things...). That results in the
picture beeing shown (when using the 4:3 mode on the tv) correct
proportion wise, but very, very small. I have black borders on all sides.
Shouldn't there be some way for VDR to "rescale" to fit the full 16:9 tv
screen instead of showing a small part of the tv only? I have tried to
set 16:9 in the DVB setup menu, but this seemed to have no effect.
At least on Swedish DVB-T most low^H^H^Hwidescreen shows are
actually sent as 16:9 anamorphic (with that I mean a full screen
with no black bars that is horizontally compressed, and is
supposed to be horizontally stretched out from 4:3 to 16:9
in the TV, not sure about this terminology either), and setting
VDR to 16:9 does make it show both anamorphic and 4:3
transmissions over the entire screen, the first having to be
horizontally stretched though.

Maybe you are referring to cable or satellite operators doing
something else? If so, call them up and tell them to pull
themselves together.

/ragge