[vdr] Re: MiniDVD and VDR DVD Plugin

> libdvdnav use libdvdread which decides on it's own wether to use or not
> to use DVD ioctl's. There is nothing i can do about that (or would want
> to do).

> libdvdread can and does read UDF images, but it also tries to be smart
> about mounted disc and tries to read them directly  through the
> underlying drive.

I wasn't trying to be derogatory about the DVD-plugin, it's great work!

What I mean is the distinction between DVD-the-media, and DVD-the-format. The
media is the disc holding a few gigs. The format is the UDF filesystem image.
You can also put an ext2 filesystem on a DVD media, and you can put a UDF
filesystem on a CD-R.

 In theory you could put a DVD image on a harddrive. You can then mount it as
a loopback filesystem. In theory, you can also play that image as a
DVD-the-format. Where it comes from should not matter.

If it will do that, it will also play it coming from a CD. In theory :-)

> > Consider one example, usually if I have a big divx (from recording) to
> > burn to a CD-R, and the size is matched to max out a single CD-R, I burn
> > the divx directly AS the ISO, instead of putting it INSIDE an ISO image.
> >
> > Mplayer will play it just fine (i.e. mplayer /dev/cdrom - and it will
> > recognise it as a divx). Until now we still haven't figured out how to
> > convince Windows (friend's place) to play them :-)
>
> mplayer will NOT play the DVD, it will ONLY play the VOB's files. That
> is something _different_!
> Try to play the disc though xine, it uses the same libs.

I don't understand your comment there :-)

Cheers,
Dennis