[vdr] Re: AW: Re: AW: EPG scan cause high load and AC3 drop outs

On Sat, Mar 22, 2003 at 12:08:00PM +0100, Roland Praml wrote:
> Hmm, yesterday I've made some experiments with vdr 1.0.4 & AIO patch,
> old driver and I get similar high IRQ rates:
>
> ~20 normal live mode
> 400-600 replay mode
> 800-1000 LiveAC3 Mode

hmmm .. 800-1000 is really three times more than I suspect.  IMHO
the driver + firmware should be able to transport one TS frame
aka 188 bytes at once ... and together with the appropiate buffer
within the fimrware (let's say 1024 bytes) it should be possible
to decrease the needed IRQ's and the calls of the IRQ handler
in the driver.

> In both cases I use AC3 out over Soundcard. So I don't think the
> IRQ flood is the case for my crashes, because vdr 1.0.4 ran stable
> for a long time at my machine.
> (I'm quite not 100% sure if the driver/VDR or bitstreamout-plugin
> crashed my machine but this was the only thin I changed in the last days)
> I updated the driver to the newest CVS version and till now I got no
> crash anymore.

Ah ... thanks for the hint.  Btw: do you have sound drop outs during
live view?

> Roland
>
> p.s. At the first try vdr with bitstreamout plugin quit with "illegal
> instruction" because I've an AMD-K6 and you use in the Makefile
> "-march=i686" Maybe a hint in the README file to check this woudn't be
> bad.

OK ... maybe an auto detection code should help.  This because the usage
of optimzed code for Intel/AMD toghether with memcpy/memset instead of
simple loops decreases the load by 20% of the plugin.

       Werner