[vdr] Re: vdr without full-featured DVB-Card

Hi Rene,

thanks a lot for your email. Even if it wasn't the good news I hoped for,
I now can be sure that vdr at this stage isn't able to be more than a
TV-recording software when its used with only a budged-card.

> We have a lot of people on the list looking for a software-player
> plugin. But none of them seems to be capable to do it.

I don't think I'm the person you are looking for if you wanted me to
implement it. Till now my programming-skills are limited to java and
even though I'm willing to learn, c/c++ with all its pointers etc is very
cryptical to me. Nevertheless I'll take a look at the things you mentioned
as soon as possible.

> > I also heared that an MPEG-4 capable decoder-card from Sigma-Desings
> > would be supported by vdr. Did anyone made some experiences with such
> > a card and is it compatible with xvid-encoded movies?
> >
> I don't know of the new MPEG-4 capable chips. I don't think they're
> supported by the DXR3-plugin. But the EM8300-based DXR3 or Hollywood+ do
> work. This is also a way to get video to monitor as they have overlay
> wiring.
>
> But a soft-decoder would be better, of course.

Well, for the diskless client I'm planning to build an hardware-decoder
would be the better solution: less CPU -> less heat -> less noise. I
haven't tried it yet but i think my old K6-2 with 400Mhz supported by a
modern graphics-adapter should be able to play an MPEG-2 steam. But I
think MPEG-4 would be too much.

Regards,

Christian