[vdr] Re: LAN cable length / Streaming Plug-In

Am Fre, 2003-04-04 um 13.05 schrieb vete.ran@gmx.de:
> Hi,
>
> > For the connection, I use two 'normal' CAT 5 cables (20m + around 10m
> > for a network outlet/box = 30m) connected to a 20m cross-over CAT 5
> > cable. Directly connecting the both PCs with the 20m cross-over cable
> > gives a perfect picture, but then, the cable is visible in the whole
> > stairway :-(. Connecting the two 20m cables with an network cable
> > adapter already causes blocks and interruptions, but not as much as if I
> > use the complete connection over 50m.
>
> I think it's a cable lenght problem.
> When installing cables at my home i have some cables over 30 Meter.
> I had to correct the connectors. Twisted Pair is not twisted enough for
> lenght over 20 Meters so you have to turn some cables.

100 Mbit Ethernet (100Base-Tx) is specified to work on a cable length up
to 100 meters on unshielded twisted pair cable (UTP CAT5 Cable). If it
does not, you should check your adapter cards (some of the cheapest
models may not be conform with the Ethernet standard, but they shold
work at least up to 80 meters) and check your connectors for contact
problems and broken wires.

Michael