[vdr] Re: LAN cable length / Streaming Plug-In

On 04 Apr 2003 13:33:35 +0200, Michael Troß <vdr-ml@tross.org> wrote:

> 100 Mbit Ethernet (100Base-Tx) is specified to work on a cable length up
> to 100 meters on unshielded twisted pair cable (UTP CAT5 Cable).

But what most forget, this 100 m are splitted up in 90 m of fixed
installation cable between patch panel and wall socket, and 10 m of the
flexible cable for connection to the switch and the device. If you use
normal patch panel type cable with a length longer than 10 m you can
expect problems. I assume the OP has only the flexible cable type. And
if you crimp the connectors yourself you can make a lot of errors.

The other important point is the connection between both cables. This
only works if a CAT5 wall socket is used. Connecting two long cables
just with a adapter will cause problems.

Emil