[vdr] Re: Beginner questions

Thank you for your comments - they have been helpful. I got lost in some of the technical terms and would like to clarify, though.

> ...If you only use one card, you can only do
> multiple records if the channels use the same transponder (frequency).
> If you have more cards (e.g. again a full featured one or a Hauppauge
> Nova - but this might not be available for terrestrial
> broadcasts), you
> can also record channels from different transponders.

How do I know which channels use the same transponder?
How/why would I use more than one card?

> The card is being connected using FBAS out.

What is FBAS?

> If you also want S-Video
> out, you have to get a card with hardware revision 1.3 (maybe
> also 1.6),
> but not the new 2.x cards, because they don´t have the famous
> J2 jumper
> that offers S-Video out. This is for DVB-s cards, don´t know about the
> DVB-t cards.

How do I know what hardware revision the card uses?

> Hauppauge WinTV-DVB-t, maybe there is also a terrestrial version from
> Siemens that uses the same chipset.

I think I read somewhere that Hauppauge's Nexus cards had the onboard MPEG-2 decoder, but the Nova does not. Is this right?

> ...In the past, there
> were some buffer overflows with certain drivers even when not doing
> anything on the system, so the development concerning recordings is
> still going on...

Do the buffer overflows still happen, at all?

Thanks again for your help.

Michael