[vdr] Re: A/V sync problems with new drivers

Hi,

Reinhard Walter Buchner wrote:
> > For me the practical consequences are more important:
> > [1]
> > There is no quick and clean[tm] fix for PCR != video pid.
> > (Well, I was aware of that when I patched the driver.)
>
> I wish I had more time ;o)) but VDR is already eating most
> of it, so I just can't possibly start working on the DVB driver,

Same here, my spare time is mostly consumed by debugging funny
featur^Wbugs. ;-)

> in addition. You may wish to have a look at the page 56-59
> and pg 94 of the AV711x.pdf from TI (page numbers are
> from the revision 3.1). Maybe you that will give you an
> additional idea where you could further tweak the DVB
> driver.

Interesting, it gives an idea what the firmware/hardware does.
But there is not much that could be done in the driver.
Most of the magic is hidden in the firmware.

Basically, vdr should set the PCR. Without the patch it was pure
luck that A/V sync worked with the new LL-firmware at all.
(I consider this a bug. :)

Perhaps channel.conf should be extended to allow something like
    BVN:12574:h:S19.2E:22000:164,17:96:0:0:5025:0:0:0
                                ^^^
which would allow to specify the PCR pid. If not present, vdr could
set the PCR pid to zero or (better) set it to the video pid.

> > [2]
> > Changing the recording format is not desirable, as we we don't want
> > to lose our old recordings. If I understood that thread correcty,
> > PCR ist *required* for live-view and not really necessary for
> > recording/replay. Otherwise the av7110 would not be able to play
> > current recordings...
>
> Yes, that is true. I wasn't suggesting that Klaus  should change that
> (he wouldn't do it anyway ;o)) What "bothered" me somewhat was that
> this (the copied message) was in contradiction to what Ralph Metzler
> wrote a bit before (same day, I think one hour or so earlier).

If I got this right, he said that some newer hardware might need a PCR
for replay. In this case, wouldn't it be possible to add a (fake) PCR
during replay?

Oliver