[vdr] Re: vdr cuts recordings with ugly artifacts at cutting-points

On 16 Apr 2003 "Dr. Werner Fink" <werner@suse.de> wrote:

> ... whats about the audio/dd frames between cutOut mark
> upto the point where the video PTS at cutOut reach the
> audio/dd PTS?  Shouldn't those ones be included or
> replaced with silence:
>
>                            commercial
>   video  ----------------%************%-----------------
>   audio  ----------------%--|*********%**|--------------
>                          ^            ^
>                        cutOut       cutIn
>                          ^^^^
>                          audio PTS delay
>
> ?

Any packets behind cutOut are removed anyways (just as in plain
vdr). I can only guess that the driver will replace the missing
packets with silence.

For a completely correct cut, these packets have to be recovered
and must be muxed into the packets after cutIn. This is not easy.

In my test a typical audio delay was 36000 pts-ticks. It seems to
be a 90 kHz clock, so this would be around 400ms delay. So the last
400ms video before cutOut are silent.

Can say if this is noticeable. Let's see first is the removal of
the the excess cutIn packets gives improvement.

--
Stefan Huelswitt
huels@iname.com  | http://home.pages.de/~nathan