[vdr] Re: Easy convert .vdr files to dvd(mpeg2) ?

> > I donīt generally recommend to transcode video streams if they donīt
> > have a resolution of 720/704x576.
>
> other people would recommend a transcode
> (btw 352x576 and 352x288 is also DVD but i have not seen any station
using
> this for DVB)

Why prefer losing image quality? Comments on compatibility see below...

> i donīt know what players you tested but my impression was that
cheaper
> models (yamakawa, raite, cyberhome) are more likely to work then
brands
> like pioneer, philips, ...

Thatīs what I thought first. Hereīs the list of players I could test -
and it worked everywhere:

Lenco DVD 12/16
Magnavox MDV 420
Proline DVD 1040/2100
Yamaha DVD S 530
Denon DVD 900
Panasonic DVD-RV32
Aiwa XD-DV 480EZ
Sony DVP-NS 305
Pioneer DV-454-S
Toshiba SD-220E
Panasonic DVD-XV10
Sony DVP-NS700V
JVC XV-N5
Kenwood DVF-3060
Philips DVD 743
JVC XV-S302
Saba DSA 100 E

Only the Toshiba displayed the 480x576 with wrong aspect ratio, all
other players played it back without any problems.  Denon, Aiwa,
Panasonic and Keenwood even was not able to play SVCDs, but played this
'SVCD-DVD' without problems. This test has been done a few months ago.

So if you want to make a backup for private purposes, then I recommend
to patch the MPEG headers first and test if it works instead of just
reencoding it.

I also donīt like X(S)VCD and formats like KVCD and MVCD if they donīt
follow the standard and because I don’t want to rely on a
non-future-proof solution, but as you can see in the results above, I
think itīs worth giving a try - especially if you already did some
reencodings and recognized the loss of quality using MPEG1/2. If it does
not work on your player or the ones of your friends, you are still free
to do a complete (time consuming) recompression.
Remember that it is only the resolution of the video stream, not the
structure etc. of it that is non-standard. Itīs not a 'dirty' trick like
using VBR where it is not allowed (VCD), too long GOPs or audio at wrong
sample frequency.

Jörg