[vdr] Re: VDR-format?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Yngve Johansen" <Yngve.Johansen@nb.no>
> I think it would be a great advantage for VDR, to keep the VDR-format
(.vdr)
> within the MPEG-standard.
> This would ensure that the recordings can be used in other applications. I
> think MPEG PS (program stream) would be an excellent choice. (I really
don't
> know how much work this means...)

In principle that should be easy. Just add an MPEG PS layer around the PES
packs (which is
essentially an MPEG pack header) plus add an MPEG PS system header at the
beginning
(here you have to fill in a few parms, like no. of video/audio streams,
buffer sizes, bitrates and such).

Unforunately my free time is currently tied up in getting a new PVAStrumento
version out
(handling multi-audio and AC3...) - so I would have time for this only in a
few weeks.

But anyway - my choice for VDR recordings would probably be TS, because that
format is
designed for these kind of streams (i.e. error recovery on the decoder
side). I don't know
how well players would cope with errors in the PS (although nowadays it
seems not
so much a problem as like two years ago).

rgds

    Wiljo