[vdr] Re: 5.1 Sound with analog soundcard?

hi,

sure it's possible.
use a52dec and let it decode to 5.1 (or some other fixed setups).
i'm doing the same. it works really good.

small problems remain:
- there is no way to switch between stereo and 5.1 like switching
  languages (this is how i think it should be done).
- there is no (at least built-in) method of adding a delay to the
  sound, 5.1 + stereo gives a "echo" (5.1 is early).

regards,

Guido Fiala wrote:

> On Tuesday, 1. July 2003 17:19, anaxares@gmx.de wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > as nobody seems to be able to help me, I assume everyone has either
> > - a digital amplifier that can handle the spdif-out from the soundcard
> > or
> > - is satisfied with the stereo-sound from the DVB-S card.
> >
> > I however have a "cheap" dolby 5.1 box set with analog 6-channel input
> > and an onboard 6ch-out soundcard.
> > Isn´t there any possibility to convert the AC3-sound to analog-6ch by
> > software? And no, I don´t want to connect together X soundcards to convert.
>
> I'am stuck with the same setup - did'nt want to buy a set of
> plastic-boxes+5.1amplifier if i already have nice amplifiers and boxes.
> thought one should be able to feed them nicely with the soundcard.
>
> There are 2 separate special problems:
> 1.Only Pro7 send 5.1 streams, so you can beside that only play dvd's with ac3
>
> 2.theoretically "dolby-digital" or call it simply "dolby" has encoded the
> rear-channels (and even the lfe+center) into the 2 stereo-signals. Most
> tv-stations transmit that sound all the time and "good" tv-sets can make
> "virtual-surround" out of it, meaning that all 5+1 speakers can be feed with
> 2 stereo-channels, it's not perfect, but quite nice to have.
>
> Why should'nt a sound-card not be capable of the same?
> Is there none that can do this for patent-reasons or what?
> I asked that question more than 3 years ago in the alsa-ml and there seems
> still to be no solution...
>
> In case i do the step and buy a AC3-decoder+amplifier - does someone know it
> it can do the above? With digital-in-signals and/or with analog signals?
> Some recommendations/prices?
>
> --
> Info:

  markus schorer              fon 089.540.149.0
  daiserstrasse 15 RGB        fax 089.540.149.44
  81371 münchen               http://www.plain.de