[vdr] Re: Direct AC-3 yes or no ?

On 16 Jul 2003 peter.zeipelt@arcor.de wrote:

> Again a question to the well discussed topic AC-3 through the
> S/P-DIF on the DVB-S.  My aim is to setup a full featured
> VDR-PC, with mp3-, divx-support and so on.  After reading a lot
> of postings, I think it's actually not possible to bring the
> "live" (I mean while I'm watching the actual TV-Broadcast and no
> recording) AC-3 from the DVB-S to the external amplifier without
> a loop through an alsa-supported soundcard.

Live-AC3 is possible with the AC3overDVB patch (see my homepage).
Caveats: for Live-AC3 the DVB card is forced into transfer mode
and you DD receiver must support the encapsulated AC3 format used
(there is a small compatibility list inside the patch).

--
Stefan Huelswitt
huels@iname.com  | http://home.pages.de/~nathan