[vdr] finding best settings for analog plugin

Hello,

I am trying to find the best settings for resolution and
signal rate for my machine (Duron 1100) using mp1e with the
analog plugin from andreas kool.

I tried
res=352x288, SR=25 ... fine
res=480x576, SR=35 ... sometime fine, sometimes flickering
colors
res=480x288, SR=25 ... the picture is only shown in the
upper half of the screen
res=720x576, SR=25 ... too much for my machine.

Are there allowed and usefull resolutions?
What would be better: greater X, greater Y or greater SR?

With the default settings the picture is ok, but when I
change to a higher resolution the picture is getting
flickering colours (esp. yellow).
Is there any solution for this?
Are my cables (the signal) to bad?
Or is my card to bad (Nexus

Would another encoder give better pictures?

Thanks for any help

lg, Gerhard