[vdr] Re: spdif and DD receiver

Hi Andreas,

you are right, the DVB card´s S/PDIF out provides 5V. There are some people who have damaged their amplifier by connecting the spdif directly.
The best solution would be to use an optical spdif converter.

One possibility is to buy an Asus SPDIF slot adapter with both coaxial and optical out. The specifications of the Asus mainboards are +5V as well.
Here is a linkt to Asus homepage: http://www.asuscom.de/products/mb/mb_accessories.htm
The adapter is named S/PDIF-out-Module.*
*
There was already a thread about this topic on the mailinglist:

You can get the adapter at ebay for about 6 Euros. I ordered mine some days ago.

Best regards,

Matthias

Andreas Holzhammer wrote:

Hi,

I'm planning to use the AC3overDVB patch to connect a Rev 1.6 DVB-S to my Yamaha AX-1 DolbyDigital Amplifier (the bitstreamout plugin crashes my system, and I'd like to get rid of the soundcard anyway).

Now what I learned is that the DVB-card provides a level of 5V on the SPDIF pins. Is it save to connect these directly to the Amp or do I have to add some electronics to get down to 0.5V?

Regards,

Andreas