[vdr] Re: VDR and 2.6.0-test1?

On Friday 25 July 2003 13:47, Michael Hunold wrote:
> Hello Klaus,
>
> >>I'm using both branches. I prefer DVB because tuning is faster.
>
> There is a bit of FUD going on with "dvb-kernel".
>
> The "problem" is within the saa7146 i2c layer. The "DVB" driver is
> monolithic and has a i2c routine of it's own.
>
> The saa7146 core that's used in "dvb-kernel" drives the av7110 cards,
> budget cards, 5 different analog tv cards. The i2c routine is shared,
> but is not optimized as the DVB driver. If you change something on
> the one end, you break the other.
>
> The transfer speed can be tuned for every different driver, that's
> not the problem. The problem is, that the routine has to handle two
> differnt scenarious: bulk transfer of firmware data (ie. higher
> transfer rate in favour of system responsibility by using busy
> waiting) against tuning (ie. small data transfers, not timing
> critical).

See below for my proposal.

> But: I just did a quick test of DVB CVS against dvb-kernel CVS. *I*
> did not notice any significant differences with my DVB-C with
> ves1820. Tuning from 3sat to ZDF here in Berlin takes the same time,
> same for other channel transitions. IMHO tuning is not time critical
> -- it's more interesting to have a good signal and a good tuner, so
> you'll get a fast lock.
>
> Other cards with other tuners may vary, of course.

Obviously :)

> > Well, that's a reason for me, too, then, to stay with DVB.
> > I hope this is only a momentary thing - or will dvb-kernel
> > be tuning slower than DVB in the long run (i.e.: is this
> > a principle problem)?
>
> No. If someone comes up with a all-in-one solution that works with
> all cards, we'll be happy. 8-)

Well, we are on the wrong list, but...
Would it be possible to add a function to switch short_delay mode
(on/off/auto) for each device?
auto should be the default setting and work exactly the way it is
currently done. So the dvb driver could enable short_delay mode just
before tuning and turn it off afterwards.

Oliver