[vdr] Re: OT: Compile kernel for VIA C3

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, Lauri Tischler wrote:

>Has anybody been able to compile the kernel for VIA C3 800 MHz
>(VIA Ezra) processor.  I have now tryed various configurations
>and allways end up with non-booting kernel.
>If I compile the darn thing as Pentium-MMX, it runs fine.

I have an Via Epia 800, /proc/cpuinfo says this:

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : CentaurHauls
cpu family      : 6
model           : 7
model name      : VIA Ezra
stepping        : 8
cpu MHz         : 800.047

I've used several 2.4-kernels without any problems. I have chosen the CPU
so that:

CONFIG_MCYRIXIII=y

is defined in /usr/src/linux/.config. The C3 doesn't seem to have the
SSE/SSE2 instructions. This once caused problems when I tried to compile
some app that had hand tuned SSE instructions.

All in all, it works, and it's a good DVB machine. :)

Btw, did you remember to run /sbin/lilo after installing the new kernel?

--

                  - "What're quantum mechanics?"
        - "I don't know. People who repair quantums, I suppose."