[vdr] Re: VIA enhanced Xine Player and VDR any actions planed?

Hi Ralf,

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 10:06:17AM +0200, Ralf Klueber wrote:
> since a few days the enhanced Xine Player
> (https://sourceforge.net/projects/viaexp) for Via Boards is existing. It
> uses the inbuild hardware MPEG2 decoding chips of the via boards. I
> actually use the M9000 with a fan and it is quite usable for Divxing
> without VeXP.
>
> I would like to swap it out to a M6000 with less computation power and
> less noise. But pehaps it is usable for Divxing with using the hardware
> facilities regarding MPEG.

I don't think the hardware mpeg2 slice decoder would help you with
divx-files.

> So whats VDR related to write on this list? How is it possible to use
> VeXP instead of mplayer to view AVIs?

That should'nt be a problem as the mplayer plugin calls mplayer.sh and you
can start nearly everything with it, just provide your own version and
start xine or any other player you prefer.

> As far as I could think it would also be possible to use VDR with a Epia
> Board and only a nova card using the MPEG chip onboard to view TV. That
> would be nice and realy cheap to build a VDR. Is that something that is
> covered with the xine plugin which is currently under development?

There are people working on that, the VIA supplied driver is based on
xine, so probably this can be integrated in the coming xine plugin.
But there's more with this beast:

- hardware supported alpha blending (would make a nice OSD)
- picture in picture functionality
- you have x11 available, so you could make plugins for games, webbrowsers
  and things like that without the need to create mpegstreams from the
  output or use the osd for the output

At the moment there are still a lot of problems with it: fully supported
drivers for mpeg2-hardware decoding are atm only available as binary
modules for the kernel. So far Alan Cox has only merged the DRI-related
part of the dri-drivers and I had no chance to test my kernel-patch with
the xine version modified by via, I'll try this later. Another prob is the
x11 drivers, that aren't fully merged.
So it's still a way to go, but there's hope ;-)

Bye,
Matthias
--
Matthias.Mueller@rz.uni-karlsruhe.de