[vdr] Re: Found Components for a silent P4

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003, Sven Karlsson wrote:

>Oliver,
>
>>Thats all I know as I have not built a silent system yet. Please coment
>>If you have any more information or experiences! Hope this information
>>is of value to anybody.
>
>Just a word of caution. Remember that the power converted into heat in your
>system should be transported out of your case. You will otherwise get a
>tremendous heat build-up inside your case which is probably not what you
>want. In systems with fans this rarely is a problem air is moved out of the
>case. In a fan-less system this is not the case. Even with fans, you can get
>a 20+ degrees centigrade temperature difference between the inside and
>outside of the case.

Yes, the heat must get out somehow. I put in a large 10cm fan that rotates
slowly in my small case that holds an EPIA, and the combination is
virtually soundless. It however manages to move a lot of air and seems to
be enough.

--

             Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off.
                                              -- Terry Pratchett, Small Gods