[vdr] Single cable LNBs (was: Re: Re: OT: Choosing a multiswitch)

ml@bartschnet.de(Rene Bartsch)  18.08.03 14:42

Once upon a time Rene Bartsch shaped the electrons to say...

>Am Mon, 2003-08-18 um 01.59 schrieb Rainer Zocholl:
>>>As a 9/16 Multiswitch is quite expensive and requires extensive
>>>wiring, you might be interested in a Technisat Disicon 4.
>>>It's a LNB with integrated frequency-shifting solution.
>>>That means you only have one wire through the house on which
>>>all receivers are attached instead of 8 lines from the LNB
>>>to the multi-switch and 16 single wires, each for one receiver.
>>>You can even split lines if necessary.
>>
>> The disadvantage:
>> You have only the "most" german Astra and only digital channels.
>> More are not possible because your single cable does not have enough
>> bandwith.
>>

>Analogue not, of course, but the question I'm interested in is if the
>Disicon 4 is pre-programmed or if there's a way to select the channels
>by e.g. diseqc.

There are actually "Single cabel systems" which allows
selections of preselected channels.
Each channel costs about 500E...

If the box is controlled by tuner, each tuner must have an
uniq ID for its diseq commands.

>I once called the 0190-hotline from Technisat. They
>didn't tell me much when I told them I wanted to know the technicals
>for implementing Disicon 4 for a VCR-software (-> VDR), but the guy on
>the line told something about it would emulate 3 LNBs controlled by
>diseqc.

???

The simple question is:
How many and which transdonders are tranposed?

I assume the TechniSat is making such a big secret because
they want to sell their tuners.

>> "Digitales Einkabelsystem" smart GP31-D 940351 EUR169,--
>> which seems to be similar to disicon but works with any LNB...
>> http://www.wela-electronic.de/ (="smart")
>> http://www.wela-electronic.de/d_product.php?parent=49&sub=yes&idcat=
>> 49 http://www.wela-electronic.de/datenblatt/gp31d.pdf
>>

>I also checked it out a year ago - but I don't want a pre-programmed
>solution - what happens if channels change?

You lost ;-(

Currently that box delivers almost all premiere but no Pro7!

>No, we're looking for a solution to attach 32 tuner-frontends ;o)

I don't think that this can be done for 150 if each
receiver has his own channel on the wire were it muxes the
Transponder he wants to receive.

That would require a receive for each tuner-frontend.
There are such system on the marktet but they are expensive.

>>>It may require patching VDR slightly as it seems to use own LOF for
>>>each attached receiver
>>
>> ?? i thought they where mixing the digital signals into lower
>> bands.

>I've never found a data-sheet describing what it exactly does ...
>but some kind of frequency-shifting.

Yes. That's seems what the smart box do.
(And i wonder if techisat is not "cooking with water" either ;-))

>> If i built a new house in would not use such single cable solutions.
>> Those single cable solution are good for old houses.

>I'd prefer single-cable fiber-optics, too ;o)

Not as flexible as copper on the last miles.
Ask the people in the east of germany why they can't get DSL...

The simplest way would be to order a TechniSat Tuner and a
Discon LNB and try it for a fortnight, then sent it back which is
allowed by "Fernabsatzgesetz" if it can't be used with VDR.

Rainer