[vdr] Re: Filesystem pros & cons

On Saturday 23 August 2003 19:06, Lauri Tischler wrote:
> I've been using reiserfs for /video for sometime now,
> appears to work ok.
> Now I'm about to add some more disk into the box.
> Any pros or cons about reiserfs versus ext3 ?

Really hard to tell - i heard some people had real trouble with reiser i can
not confirm - even after disk-fulls, complete system-lockups, power-failures
and lot's of fsck's anythings still here.

In the office i had recently really big trouble with ext3 - someone pulled
the plug out of the wall and afterwards the system was unusable _despite_
ext3 is the only system with "metadata" spooling (the complete /etc and a lot
else was in lost+found - but i was easier to reinstall than to recover the
cryptic files)
- that never happened to me in 4 years of reiserfs...

xfs is also named for it's stability - has someone experiences with it under
above hard conditions?

The major "disadvantage" of reiserfs is it supposed slow performance for
large files - i can confirm that a "normal" reiserfs get's into trouble with
92%++ if also a lot of small files are stored on it. BUT - since i mount the
video partion "notail" (see manpage) i observed no problems at all - it
should be as fast as xfs (which is supposed to be "bloated" ???)

On the other side - i really like the "tail-packing" as it does really good
for partitions with lot's of smaller files (as are icons, gifs,
browser-caches, small configuration files) - it brings space and speed here..

I'am still eager to try out xfs ASAP i get my new system...

*just my experience*