[vdr] Re: sound clicks and "block artefacts" with Nova-CI

Am Mo, 2003-08-25 um 12.50 schrieb Stefan Betermieux:

> Am Sunday 24 August 2003 20:29 schrieben Sie:

> > > Thanks for the answer !
> > >
> > > It is already on for every harddisk.
> > > hdparm -d 1 -m 16 -c 1 -u 1 -X67 /dev/hd[a-d].
> > >
> > > This cannot be the problem, since my nexus-s does record perfectly.
> > > My old system was only multiword-dma 2, which is slower than UDMA3,
> > > which I use now ( I had to use UDMA3, since kernel 2.4.x does have
> > > problems with UDMA >3 under load ). My throughput (tested with hdparm)
> > > was about 13MB/s with my old System and is now about 35MB/s.
> > > My Nova did record perfectly with the old, much slower io-subsystem...
> > >
> > > --Andi
> >
> > update:
> > The problem seems not related to my nova card.
> > I found out that always the first video-device on the pci-bus is
> > working, and the second shows the problems.
> > So it could be some kind of pci-problem.
>

> At last someone with similar problems like mine ;-)
> I have a Pentium 4 Box (with Asus 845 GE Board), a Nova-s and a dxr3 for
> TV-Out. I have tried literally everything, from changing PCI Parameters
> (including latency between 32 and 256), swapping cards, to changing the
> drivers. On windows it's working fine. I am using 2.6.0 test at the moment
> with dvb drivers from the kernel, before I have tried almost every available
> DVB driver, even on 2.4 and 2.5 kernels. I have made sure, that it is no dxr3
> related problem by using dvbstream and mplayer to display the stream on my
> monitor.
> It seems that we can limit the problem to Nova cards and 845 chipsets. The
> only usable error message is the ccError count, which is increased when
> dropouts occur and which is printed to syslog when vdr changes the channel
> (i.e.:"cTS2PES got 0 TS errors, 10 TS continuity errors"). So please Andreas,
> could you verify this? I am really trying to iron this out, but until now,
> nobody could reproduce the problem. If anyone needs to reread the previous
> threads, please look for the subjects
> "[vdr] budget dvb + dxr3 -> small drop outs"
> "[vdr] TS Continuity Errors on Nova-S"
>
> bye,
>
> Stefan

hmm, today in the morning, I pulled off my Nova, and tested only with my
nexus. I recorded ARD, and in replay, I got block artefacts an sound
glitches as before...
If I put my Nova in again, my nexus works perfect, but the nova produces
the problem.. arrrgh.

afterwards I've tested another Mainboard (i845PE) chipset, with almost
the same problems.
So far I don't have your error messages in syslog, but I will double
check this this evening !

My last resort is an old PIII mainboard, which I will test tonight, to
absolutely confirm that this problem is only P4-chipset related...

I'm also eager to find out this problem, cause I invested so much time
in the whole thing, that I would give my last drop blood for VDR :)

--Andi