[vdr] Re: Playing DVD ?

On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 09:50:23AM +0200, Jörg Knitter wrote:
> cause the plugin/VDR to crash
> - 24 Bit/96 kHz PCM is not being played (e.g. Queen - Greatest video hits)

Explain me how the hardware of the DVB card can put out 24Bit@96kHz PCM
on its S/P-DIF.  The DVB card supports 16Bit@48kHz or less.  The analog
part is very pure, therefore I use S/P-DIF only (yes this makes a BIG
difference on my A/V-Amplifier which also supports 24Bit@96kHz) ... but
for 24Bit@96kHz you need the appropiate hardware (e.g. a sound card which
supports this and have a slave mode S/P-DIF connector for synchronize it
with the DVB card).
Then you've to modify the DVD plugin to put the 16Bit@48kHz PCM to
the DVB card and the 24Bit@96kHz to the sound card ... you may use the
bitstreamout plugin and remove the 96kHz check at the PCM check add the
appropiate initializations at the S/P-DIF part I've dropped and then
you can hope the ALSA supports 24Bit@96kHz on your 250Euro sound card ;^)

Nevertheless, IMHO this combination can not replace a good DVD player
without heavily reworking the DVD plugins and parts of the ALSA
libs and kernel interface for some sound cards (if you get the specs
from the hardware vendors).  And AFAIK the DVD plugin is currently not
maintained.

        Werner