[vdr] Re: Problems with exit-states (VDR-1.2.2)

Am Mittwoch, 27. August 2003 08:40 schrieb Klaus Schmidinger:
> Rene Bartsch wrote:

> > > I'm afraid my command line isn't complex enough.
> > > Cahnces are you have done something wrong with quotes (or lack
> > > thereof).
> > >
> > > If you post your command line here, I'm sure somebody can
> > > pinpoint the problem.
> >
> > Ok, here's one of the hundreds of lines I've tested. The
> > init-script generates such lines directly from config-files (one
> > for each plugin)
> >
> > -------------------- snip
> >
> > vdr --config=/etc/vdr --record=vdrreccmd --shutdown=vdrshutdown
> > --terminal=/dev/tty1 --watchdog=60 -P\"dxr3 \" -P\"control
> > --terminal=/dev/tty9 --port=2002 \" -P\"games \" -P\"mp3
> > --mount=mount.sh --cddb=/var/lib/cddb \"  -P\"mplayer
> > --mount=mount.sh --mplayer=mplayer.sh \" -P\"remote --tty
> > /dev/tty10 \" -P\"vcd --vcd=/dev/cdrom \"
> >
> > -------------------- snap
>
> Is this one long line, are is it wrapped?
> In the form you posted it it can't work, since onle the part

Of course it is one big line and further:

su -c "vdr --config=/etc/vdr --record=vdrreccmd --shutdown=vdrshutdown \
		--terminal=/dev/tty1 --watchdog=60 -P\"dxr3 \" -P\"control		\
		--terminal=/dev/tty9 --port=2002 \" -P\"games \" -P\"mp3	      \
		--mount=mount.sh --cddb=/var/lib/cddb \"  -P\"mplayer		\
		--mount=mount.sh --mplayer=mplayer.sh \" -P\"remote --tty		\
		 /dev/tty10 \" -P\"vcd --vcd=/dev/cdrom \" " vdr

> Please send the line **EXACTLY** the way it is given to the shell.
> That's either with '\' at the end of wrapped lines, or as one single
> long line (make sure your mailer doesn't wrap it!).

See above.

> > By the way I'd like to suggest to drop options on command-line and
> > ask the plugin-developers to put their option for starting up into
> > a config-file as command-line parsing gets to complicated (please
> > consider the string above is for seven plugins only!)

> PLEASE, DON'T DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Having (separate) configuration files for each plugin would make
> things unnecessarily complicated. Each plugin would have to implement
> ways of reading, parsing and writing these files. Using command line
> parameters is a simple and efficient way to configure these things.
> Just because one user has trouble using quotes the right way
> shouldn't trigger an IMHO unnessesary orgy of config files.

Well  .... vdr reads is own config too, why shouldn't a plugin read its
config the same way ? I don't see where an orgy of config files should
come from ? And the "one user has trouble using quotes the right way"
is a bit harsh, it is even not clarified that the problems do come from
the quoting. Of course vdr is your baby, but i don't see the cause you
react that way.

> So, again

> PLEASE, DON'T DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> I'd hate to have to edit config files if all I want is to set a
> simple parameter for a plugin.

does it exclude each other ?

> I know I can't enjoin on plugin developers how to handle their
> parameters, but I strongly advise to stay with using command line
> parameters for things that need to be set individually at startup,
> and store other things in the setup facilities already provided.
> Surely, the plugin interface allows plugins to have their own config
> files in the 'ConfigDirectory()', but those are for other things, not
> startup parameters.
>
> Klaus

I really don't see why you have these strong concerns ....

Steffen