[vdr] Re: @ Reinhard Nissl: vdr-xine supporting plugins?

Am Fre, 2003-08-29 um 03.55 schrieb Malcolm Caldwell:

> > I'd suggest you to just modify the rtsp-plugin for xine and the
> > stream(dev)-plugin for VDR. That way you easily get a
> > RTSP/RTP-connection.
>
> I think this is a good idea.  I have been meaning myself to look at the
> code of the streamdev plugin to see if the live.com RTSP/RTP library
> could be used - my feeling is it could be quite easy.
>
> The current http streaming works but has problems - if I try to connect
> to my vdr from the other side of my ISDN link I will crash vdr!  TCP is
> not the best option for streaming - UDP is the way to go and RTP would
> make this standards compliant.

The reason I'd prefer RTP/RTSP is that

1.) HTTP is no real-time protocol
2.) HTTP-commands can only be sent once at start of connection, but RTSP
also allows to send commands during connection.

There could also be a generic RTSP-plugin for VDR, which encodes OSD
into SPU, muxes the SPU into the A/V-stream. That way it would be
possible to connect nearly every media-player to VDR. It only would have
to support MPEG-decoding, SPU-decoding and RTSP. That way there would be
OSD and VDR could be controlled by RTSP-commands.

> (BTW OT: I have used mplayer to play the streamdev streams but xine
> http://myvdr:300/1 fails with xine complaining it does not know how to
> demux)

You have to use MPEG-TS with Xine - and port may be 3000 instead of 300.

--
Rene Bartsch

Facsimile/Phone: +49 7 00/72 27 87 24
Mail:  rene@bartschnet.de