[vdr] Re: Playing DVD ?

On Wednesday 27 August 2003 23:43, Juri Haberland wrote:

> Yes, I think it was that prog that creates a couple of DVD dummy files
> for each track. This is ugly is hell (the concept, not the code) as well
> as the whole idea of playing DVDs with mplayer.

Yes it's that prog. And you're right: the concept is absolutely ugly but
it worked for me after one weekend and my children were happy :-)

> > My dream would be to integrate the dvd title navigation
> > into the mplayer plugin. To support better video replay
> > one could use some functionality (-identify) from your
> > script in the plugin to display width, height, codecs etc.
>
> So you want the MPlayer plugin to become a DVD plugin Mark II.

Yes, my intention was to combine the good replay feature in MPlayer
with some nice display features in VDR. But you already mentioned the
problems in language and subtitle changing during replay in mplayer.

> Better forget mplayer - if you want to code then better fix the DVD-Plugin
> ;) As the still-picture/menu problem seems to be fixed, it works quite nice
> so far.

Ok, you got me!!! I agree that a working DVD plugin is a much better target
than hacking some extensions. I believe a working DVD replay is much more
complex than reading some title information. Anyway I'll try to understand
the code of the DVD plugins the next days.

Martin