[vdr] Re: [ANNOUNCE] transfron-0.3.1 plugin

Am Mittwoch, 22. Oktober 2003 21:17 schrieb daniel peess:
> quoting Rene Bartsch (ml@bartschnet.de):
> > daniel peess schrieb:
> > >currently supported media containers and compression formats are
> > >ogm ( xvid / vorbis ), avi ( xvid / mp3 ), mp4 ( xvid / aac ), mpg
> > > ( remuxed
> > >meg2 ), vcd ( mpeg1 cbr ), svcd ( mpeg2 vbr ).
> >
> > Great! :o)
> >
> > Any chance for creating DVDs? Transcode should be capable to do
> > this ...
> >
> > Rene
>
> not implemented yet, but there shouldn't be any problems to add that.
> all one has to do is inherit the abstract class 'MediaType',
> and implement the method ::conv(...), anyone?
>
> as the quality produced by free mpeg2 encoders is not yet satisfying
> ( compared to tmpgenc ) i didn't focus on creating dvds at all. (
> even svcds are looking imho worse than vcds, both created by
> mjpegtools )

Have you tried with current mpeg2enc yet ? I have converted two movies
lately with it and it looks very nice (-K kvcd/ SVCD standard
resolution, 50min/CD ). Using -K tmpegenc is possible too (using tmpeg
mpeg2 matrix). DVD with a bitrate of 3000+ should be really nice.
Further "requant" might be usefull too. Anyway, i guess tosvcd is more
usefull for creating svcd, then transcode, and it has a lot shorter
dependecy chain. If tosvcd could be integrated in your plugin it would
be cool, i would use it ASAP.

> i'm not yet owning a dvd recorder anyway...

I hope i will get one soon :)