[vdr] Re: PATCH: run vdr as non-root user

Ludwig Nussel wrote:
> Patrick Cernko wrote:
> > Klaus Schmidinger schrieb am 24.10.2003 12:13:
> > >
> > > What exactly is the advantage of this, compared to using 'su'?
> > >

> > maybe one advantage could be, that without using su, you can avoid some
> > problems with quoting, which seems to be frequent ones.
>
> Exactly. This way no additional shell is involved. I also don't want
> to trigger any pam actions by using su.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I think using su is the better way, because then
you have a secure shell with restricted rights as you'd start vdr as the
restricted user. If you use the patch and vdr behaves not as it should (e.g. not
setting the userid, groupid correctly), it could happen that vdr runs as root
although you think that you run it as a restricted user.
Nevertheless for linux-newbies this patch would be helpful, but it should be
an option not mandatory to use it.

Just my opinion.

Martin