[vdr] Re: Mplayer-plugin output blocky..

Patrick Cernko wrote:
Also sprach Ari Huttunen zu "02.12.2003 12:25" Anno Domini:

Is this the same 'quantization' that is limited by ffmpeg's "-qmax 10" that
I have there? If so, any idea what amount of quantization generally results
in macroblocks being visible? Or does this question make no sense?

Looking shortly over ffmpeg.c, I saw that the default value fo option
"-qmax" is 31! That's quiet more than you set, maybe this is a
explaination. Why do you set it explicitly, and why to such a low value
(it is the allowed maximum, meaning a upper bound). Try using default,
by not specifying the option!
The best value is 2, and the worst value is 31. Also, if you encode
directly with ffmpeg it will show the q value for every frame while it's
encoding. Adding kbit/s will make those q values smaller.

I think having a qmax should limit quantization in the most difficult
scenes, and forces the kbit/s value there to a higher value. I'm not exactly
sure, though, it's so hard to get good specifications about the command
line arguments for these tools.

Overall, I would suggest, to leave as most options as possible at their
default values, which most often are the best choise for standard tasks.
 This is also true for other applications like mencoder!
That's not compatible with the basic Linux ideology :-).

Ari

--
Everything is not as bad as it seems. <Poolzmaiden>